The I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation) is an application only available for Permanent Residents. The same is sought by Permanent Residents when they desire temporal documentation to return to the U.S. Usually, this situation happens when Permanent Residents damage, destroy, or lose possession of their green card, re-entry permit, or advance parole document when traveling abroad. If this situation occurs, an LPR may apply with a Consular Section at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

To successfully process this application, an LPR must have been a resident of the U.S. upon departure from the United States. The foreign national must still be an LPR when intending to return to the United States.

What would be the successful process to apply for the Form I-131A:

  1. Contact a Consular Section at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate
  2. Check if they process I-131A Applications
  3. Contact your airline to determine if they will feel comfortable with letting you board
  4. Submit online filing fee
  5. Set an appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate
  6. Appear to the appointment with the required documentation and travel itinerary

When obtaining this travel document (carrier documentation), you would be allowed to board an airline or other transportation carrier without the airline or transportation carrier being penalized.

About the Author

Mercedes Benites Garvish Immigration Marketing Assistant
Mercedes Benites
Marketing Assistant at Garvish Immigration Law Group | (800)951-4980 | | + posts

Mercedes Benites is a Legislative Assistant for the Georgia State Senate. She also assists Garvish Immigration with weekly and monthly marketing projects.