An alien relative petition is the first step in obtaining a green card. Once approved, you may apply for a green card if you are in the United States via Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. If you are living in another country when you apply, you must visit the local U.S, Embassy or Consulate.